When you upgrade your outdoor area, it’s important to learn how to maintain and clean outdoor blinds to keep them operating for as long as possible. One major benefit of outdoor blinds is their protection from the elements.
But this also means that they’re exposed regularly to harsh conditions such as sunlight, wind, rain and hail. Fortunately, you can counteract the weather’s impact and extend the life of your outdoor blinds with the following care and maintenance tips.
The best way to look after your outdoor blinds and keep them in their best shape is by regularly cleaning both sides. In addition, cleaning your outdoor blinds often reduces the need to use harsher methods to remove dirt build-up or tough stains.
When you invest in All About Shades outdoor blinds, we recommend this solution for cleaning your blinds:
- Clean the fabric with a soft cloth and water. You can also use your hose to rinse the blinds with cold water gently.
- If any dirt build-up remains, clean the material using a soft cloth or sponge and mild, soapy water.
- Rinse off the soap with fresh water, wipe the blinds with a soft dry cloth and let it air dry completely before rolling them up.
It’s important to note that if you store your blinds while still damp, it may form mildew or rust on the mechanics, damaging the product. You should also take care not to let any insecticides, chlorine or other harsh chemicals get into contact with the fabric, as this could severely damage the fabric surface of the blinds.
In addition to keeping your outdoor blinds clean, regular maintenance can also ensure that your outdoor blinds last. Here are a few maintenance tips for outdoor blinds:
- Remove stains – Always remove stains as soon as they show up. Use a weak solution of household detergent in lukewarm water and a soft cloth to gently wipe the stains off the fabric. Rinse the fabric with fresh water once the stain is gone.
- Check for mildew – Mildew can appear on your outdoor blinds, especially during humid weather conditions. Gently brush off the mould with a soft-bristled brush and then rinse the material and let it dry in the sun.
- Check for any tears or loose threads – Regularly check for any issues affecting the fabric or function of the blinds, such as small tears or signs of wear and tear. At All About Shade, our blinds come with a 5-year warranty if anything goes wrong.
- Retain your outdoor blinds’ shape –When you leave outdoor blinds rolled up for an extended time, they can become creased and lose shape. To prevent them from losing shape, unwind and secure your blinds in a position with good tension for a few hours at least once a week.
- Secure the blinds during strong winds and storms – Prevent damage by rolling up the blinds and securing them tightly. Then, you can open them up to dry thoroughly once the storm has passed.
Regular cleaning and maintenance are important for extending the life and performance of your outdoor blinds, especially when they endure the harsh weather of Western Australia. But more important than cleaning is investing in high-quality outdoor blinds.
All About Shade offers a wide range of high-quality outdoor blinds for all purposes. So, whether you need them to create a beautiful and comfortable outdoor space or keep your outdoor restaurant patio protected, we have you covered.
To arrange a free quote, fill out the “Free Measure & Quote” form, and one of our friendly team members will get in touch.